Monday, July 9, 2012

God Bless America (2011)


Frank is a war-veteran, divorced and in his early 50s. His pre-teen daughter wouldn't talk to him, his ex-wife is getting remarried. Thanks to his loud neighbors, he is spending sleepless nights and fantasizes about blowing the head off each of them including their couple months old baby. He switches on the TV and is overwhelmed with tripe reality shows where participants get ridiculed by the judges, filthy rich 16 year old girls when their parents buy them a Porsche instead of a Cadillac, Tea Party members hurting Alzheimer patients, red-necks attacking Jews etc. He goes to work and everyone's discussing the kid from the talent show. He has had enough. He cannot take it anymore. Then he gets fired and learns he has a tumor in his brain. From suicidal rage, he goes into the "If-I-am-going-down-I-am-taking-you-fuckers-with-me" mode. Very soon, Frank gets an unlikely partner in 16 year old Roxy, and together they become a killing machine taking down the bad guys.

GOD BLESS AMERICA is a fairy tale offering respite from the other things that are wrong with the world. Whatever happened to the good old days. When did things in America go from bad to total shit-storm? The film is devilishly fun as the duo goes all Bonnie & Clyde on the town. You must bear in mind they are not taking down murderers and rapists; their target constitutes the anti-social elements of society we have gotten used to. From people who pick on the weaker ones to jerks who cannot park their cars properly, these don't ever even get rapped across their knuckles. America's problem is that it has become accustomed to mediocrity. These are what folks on twitter would call the #FirstWorldProblems.

We are all sick of many different things and we all wish they'd simply go away. There are some we all would agree are toxic to society, like religious propagandists, cinema-hall talkers, and other universally-accepted assholes. I have had my own "IF-I-HAD-A-GUN" moments but I wouldn't kill them in reality. Frank and Roxy do and I seem to have a problem with that. Does that make me a hypocrite? The movie's inability to offer a clear distinction between people who deserve to die and rest leaves much to be desired. From a truck driver who passed an ignorant comment to a security guard who was simply doing his job, the main plot becomes blurred and people die for no reason at all.

I understand I must judge it on its face value by considering it a piece of fantasy. Some of the kills which I agree with may not be acceptable to others. If it comes down to one's opinions, I may have to cut the movie some slack. But its problems run deeper. We get the appearance that Frank is going over the edge and we expect the movie to condemn his actions later. Instead he is continued to be glorified even as innocent people keep getting killed.  By the end, it turns the 'hero' into just another psychopath with an automatic. There were some hilarious moments including one scene which I think must be played at every movie theater before every single show. I loved it a lot but after one point, I started having problems with its politics. I recommend it but prepare to be disappointed.